Insights into Sex and Spirituality by Deepak Chopra
Submitted to the Ormes Temple for your viewing by Barry Reese:
Sutra http://ebookstore. sony.com/ Deepak-Chopra/
* I would like to share the following insights on sex and spirituality:
1. Sexual energy is the primal and creative energy of the universe. All
things that are alive come from sexual energy. In animals
and other life
forms, sexual energy
expresses itself as biological creativity. In humans,
sexual energy can be creative at all levels -- physical, emotional and
spiritual. In any situation -- where we feel attraction, arousal, awakening,
alertness, passion, interest, inspiration, excitement,
enthusiasm -- in each
of these situations, sexual energy is at work.
Whenever we feel these states of awareness, we must put our attention on the
energy that we are experiencing, nourishing it with our attention,
experiencing it with joy and keeping it alive in our
2. Sexual desire is sacred and chaste. The suppression
of sexual energy
is false, ugly and
3. During sexual union, there is union between flesh
4. Bliss, carefreeness and playfulness are the essence
5. To improve your sexual experiences, get rid of your
Expectations are primarily
in three areas: 1) Performance, exemplified in
the question, "How am I doing?" 2) Feeling, exemplified in the question,
"How am I feeling?" 3) Security, exemplified in the question, "Do
6. In sex, as in all areas of life, resistance is born of fear. All
resistance is mental. It implies judgment against what
is being felt. Sex
becomes a problem
when it gets mixed with hidden emotions such as shame,
guilt and anger.
7. Sexual intimacy is the road to the taste or experience
freedom, because it is the
one area of life in which we can become
uninhibited and free.
8. Sexual fulfillment occurs when the experience comes
instead of need.
Frequently people bring their conflicts and needs into the
sexual experience. When sex is used to fulfill needs, it leads to addiction.
When sex comes from playfulness, the result is ecstasy.
9. All problems related to sex, neurosis, deviancy, sexual misbehavior,
violence, abuse, can be traced to resistance, suppression and repression --
not to the sexual urges themselves. If we are allowed
to discover our urges,
emotions, without outside inhibition, they won't go to extremes.
Extremism, in any form, is a reaction to repression, inhibition and
suppression. Aggression and violence are the shadow energies of fear and
10. Sex is a means of escaping our little self or ego. It is many
peoples' only experience of meditation.
sex has to be value based. Values are personal. Each
situation that has sexual energy in it, involves the whole human being and
their entire value system. My values may be different from yours, and I have
no right to be the moral judge of anyone's values. It
is important, however,
to have core
values, and respect them. Without values, we become spiritually
bankrupt. Sexual experience will never cause problems and will always be
joyful, if lovers share the same values.
12. True intimacy is union between flesh and flesh, between subtle body
and subtle body, between soul and soul. Sexual energy is sacred energy. When
we have restored the sexual experience to the realm of
the sacred, our world
will be chaste
and divine, holy and healed.
http://www.intent. com/deepakchopra /blog
"As the Sun shines upon my heart, so may my heart shine upon others!"
~ The Upanishads